Administrative policy regarding administration of student conduct
(1) Authority for developing policies of student conduct and a procedural due process is established in section 3345.21 of the Revised Code. The intent of these policies is to facilitate the maintenance of an orderly academic climate conductive to a satisfactory learning experience for each individual enrolled at Kent state university.
(2) The university has provided for the implementation of these procedures by establishing rule 3342-4-02 of the Administrative Code and this register. Each regional campus shall observe the following guidelines to insure procedural compatibility within the multi-campus system.
(B) Operational procedures.
(1) Each regional campus dean shall appoint a student conduct coordinator. The student conduct coordinator should be a member of the campus dean's administrative staff. This appointment will be for one calendar year beginning the fifteenth of April of each year.
(2) Each regional campus dean shall also recommend at least two full-time faculty or staff members as hearing officers.
(a) One of the hearing officers will be designated as an alternate to serve as needed. The term of service for the hearing officers will be for one calendar year beginning the first of July of each year.
(b) Each campus dean shall submit his recommendation of persons to serve as campus hearing officers to the dean for student affairs for transmittal to the president of the university for final appointment and notification.
(C) Operational parameters for addressing alleged violations.
(1) The student committing an alleged breach of conduct is reported to the regional campus student conduct coordinator. The conduct coordinator
(a) Advises and explains the conduct procedure to the person reporting the alleged offense.
(b) Advises and explains the conduct procedure to the student charged.
(c) Schedules conduct hearing.
(d) Facilitates the hearing process.
(2) The hearing officer hears the case, renders a decision or judgment, and completes the prescribed reports and records. The hearing will be conducted in accordance with procedures stipulated and detailed in paragraph (H) of rule 3342-4-02.101 of the Administrative Code and this register. The hearing officer notifies the conduct coordinator of the outcome of the hearing.
(3) In accordance with paragraph (K)(2) of rule 3342-4-02.101 of the Administrative Code and of this register, notification of the outcome of the decision will be conveyed by the conduct coordinator to both the student charged and to the complaining party and/or appropriate university officials.
(4) The conduct coordinator completes the necessary administrative work and files the case records in the office of the campus dean.
(D) Appeals. Appeals will be handled in accordance with paragraph (I) of rule 3342-4-02.101 of the Administrative Code and of this register.
Effective: June 1, 2007
Prior Effective Dates: 5/28/1982, 9/20/2005