RA (Application Process) Step Four
Deadline for RA Application Process for 2012-2013 Academic Year:
FRIDAY, November 30, 2012 at 11:30pm.
- All correspondence to you throughout the RA Recruitment & Selection Process will be through your Kent State University e-mail. Please check it frequently for important updates.
- Applications which are not completed by the stated deadline will be cancelled on or after 11:30pm on Friday, November 30, 2012. Applicants will be notified of their status via e-mail.
- Fall 2012 grade checks will be completed during winter break for all applicants with COMPLETE applications as of the stated deadline. If an individual’s grades do not meet stated requirements, the application will be cancelled and the applicant will be notified of this status.
- All applicants who meet all stated grade and other eligibility requirements, and successfully complete the RA group selection process, will receive information needed to register for a Spring 2013 section of the 1-credit hour Leadership in Student Affairs (L.I.S.A.) workshop via email. Candidates are required to register for and complete this 7-week, 8-class course to move forward in the RA Recruitment & Selection Process.
- Applicants must register for a section of the L.I.S.A. workshop by Friday, January 25, 2013 per directions given via your KSU e-mail. Registration for a section of the course will involve two (2) steps:
- Register through FlashLine to receive 1-credit hour for successfully completing the workshop (course numbers will be provided);
- Log-in to your submitted RA Application through the Residence Services website to choose your section (date and time) of the L.I.S.A. workshop.
- Information about the L.I.S.A. course:
The L.I.S.A. class will meet from Monday, February 4, 2013 through Friday, March 22, 2013. The class will meet Eight (8) times. Classes #1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 will meet on the same day and time each week (you will choose a section when you register). The Leadership in Student Affairs workshop is designed to develop the candidate's skills and knowledge in a variety of areas such as:
- Diversity Awareness
- Student Development
- Community development
Each of these skills are utilized within the RA position. It is the belief of the Department of Residence Services that this workshop and the close interaction between the class and the instructor will introduce candidates to the skills, knowledge, and values critical to being a successful peer leader.
The workshop is taught by full-time, master's level, Residence Hall Directors. The course will be held on campus in one of the University's academic buildings or residence halls.
Successful completion of the Leadership in Student Affairs workshop results in "Eligible for Hire" status. This means that you will be placed into the "Eligible for Hire Pool," from which Residence Hall Directors hire their staff for the coming year or semester.
The "RA Draft" is the day when all Residence Hall Directors meet to select their staff for the upcoming year. Please note that if you are not hired during the initial draft, you may be offered a position at any time following the draft. Position vacancies occur for a multitude of reasons and at various times throughout the summer and academic year. Once you are in the “Eligible for Hire” Pool, your application will be active until the Friday prior to Spring Break of the following year. At that time you will need to submit an updated cover letter and résumé to remain eligible for hire for subsequent semesters.